Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Seeking Student Feedback

I received an email today from a teacher I'd worked with at Ferris Elementary in Richmond. She informed me that Fouling Out is one of six titles on a Readers' Choice list for students at the school. I am pleased and honored to hear the news! (I am also a little worried about what the other books might be nominated. Oh, I hope I'm not up against works by J.K. Rowling, Stephanie Meyer and Darren Shan! I'm not worthy!) It is particularly special to know that students at Ferris are reading the book since I began writing the book during Spring Break in 1998 while I was a teacher at the school.

Since I am a school principal elsewhere in British Columbia, I don't have enough opportunities for school visits to hear about student reactions to Fouling Out. I would be thrilled to have students post questions and comments on this blog. I will answer as promptly as possible.

Regards,
Gregory

3 comments:

Nicola (HMB) said...

This is not really about this particular blog but i would like to publish a book im almost finished would they treat me like a kid or would they take me seriously??

Nicola (HMB) said...

hi

GREGORY WALTERS said...

To Nicola,
I believe a well written manuscript should be judged on its own merits. The age of the writer should not matter. You should read The School Story by Andrew Clements for inspiration and for insight about the publishing process.

Keep writing!